Private Medical Insurance
Stop Press – If you live near one of the Spire group of hospitals you can benefit from Comprehensive cover at the best rates on the market today. Click here for Spire Hospital finder.
Rather than waiting for NHS treatments, Private Medical Insurance, shortened to PMI, allows you to bypass the queues for the treatment of curable, short-term medical conditions.
The advantage of PMI, is you can often choose the place for treatment from a list of UK hospitals. As well as avoiding NHS waiting lists, you can usually chose a date and time for treatment which is convenient for you.
PMI is relatively flexible. The number of claims you make each year are not usually limited. Where you choose to be treated and the level of cover required would determine the premiums you pay. If you choose a top grade or band of hospital, expect to pay more. London teaching hospitals fall into the top band, so are often the most expensive.
Typically, PMI policies will not cover pre-existing conditions, long term or chronic conditions, HIV/AIDS related conditions, cosmetic treatment, outpatient drugs and dressings, among many other things. There are generally two types of policies to choose from; a comprehensive policy and a low cost/budget policy. As a comprehensive policyholder you could expect:
In patient and day case treatment which usually includes:
- Hospital charges including accommodation, nursing care, meals, drugs and dressings;
- Specialist fees;
- Tests including X-rays, CT scans and MRI scans;
- Psychiatric treatment;
- Out patient treatment.
Out patient treatment & benefits which usually includes:
- Consultations with a Specialist;
- Nursing at home;
- Private ambulance;
- Complementary medicine;
- Minor surgery;
A budget policy will not usually include outpatient treatment or complementary medicine. You can also keep costs down though by agreeing to pay a larger share of the claim cost or by being less constrained on your hospital choices.
Things to watch for
- Some insurers offer no-claims bonuses to help reduce costs, giving you an incentive to avoid minor claims.
- If you receive PMI through your employer, you may incur additional tax if you earn above a certain amount.
- If you come out of an employment PMI scheme, we may be able to negotiate some discounts with the same provider and transfer over.
- Rather than you paying and claiming the money back, some insurers settle bills direct with the hospital.
Talk to me about how I can tailor cover to meet your individual circumstances and obtain quotes from the whole market. I can also advise if a Company or Personal scheme would be the most appropriate.
If you already have cover in place let me quote you from the whole of the PMI market and see if I can save you some money!!
Tel: 01773 771380
Get a Quote
- Get a Quick Quote or Advice
- Key Man Insurance Quote
- Life or Life & Critical Illness Insurance Quote
- Income Protection Quote
- Private Health Insurance Quote
Why Key Man Advice?
We provide the kind of service we would want ourselves. FREE, Friendly, Independent and Personal, We tell it how it is and are not tied to any insurer, so can quote on a "Whole of Market" basis.